In August 2014 Llandysul a Phont Tyweli Ymlaen Cyf were secured £245,644 of funding from the Big Lottery, People and Places grant funding to deliver a project that provides two fully accessible 13 & 16 seat minibuses, which are based in Carmarthen and Llanelli. The minibuses are available to groups / organisations to provide access to essential community services, which promote community activity, social inclusion, community cohesion, regeneration, rural health, well-being and recovery from mental health problems.
Who’s the project is for?
- Mental Health sector, people with disabilities
- Geographically isolated and vulnerable
- People suffering with a limiting long-term illnesses,
- Members of community groups who have no or limited access to transport
- Minibuses will need to be used to maximum potential, and all avenues will be explored and encouraged.
- The minibuses are Peugeot Boxers, 13 & 16 seat, fully accessible with passenger lift, with provision for up to two wheelchair passengers.
- The minibuses are run under a Section 19 permits, (this is a regulation permit provided by the Traffic Commissioners) seen as good practice by CTA UK.
- The minibuses can be driven without the driving licence D1 entitlement as the vehicles when fully laden will be under 3.5 tons. This allows individuals over the age of 25 with two years driving experience to drive the vehicles (as long as they are not paid). .
Drivers and Volunteers
The project provides Minibus driver awareness scheme (MIDAS) approved minibus training for all drivers for the buses. The project will provide other training and opportunities to volunteers to enhance their work and volunteering opportunities.
Membership and Charging
Updated January 2018
- Membership is currently £10 per annum per group (This charge covers all the groups’ passengers). To be paid in the January of each year.
- Mileage is charged @ £1.30 per mile, from where the minibus are based. Minimum charge £20.
Booking the Minibuses